New Staff Positions and Appointments at Cantor Arts Center Support Commitment to Student Engagement, Collections, and Exhibitions
Stanford, Calif., August 27, 2013 — Connie Wolf, the John & Jill Freidenrich Director of the Cantor, announces nine new staff appointments, filling new and existing positions. These appointments represent significant advancements at the museum, broadening and deepening the scope of its commitment to student engagement, collections, exhibitions and related programing. Wolf believes the appointments will further the museum’s mission to foster the pursuit of knowledge through direct experiences with art works. The Cantor collects, preserves and studies art from all cultures and periods, serving Stanford University and the public through exhibitions and programs that inspire the understanding and enjoyment of art.
Wim de Wit has been appointed as the museum’s first Adjunct Curator of Architecture and Design beginning September 1, 2013. De Wit, widely recognized as a leader in his field, comes to the Cantor from the Department of Architecture and Contemporary Art at the Getty Research Institute (GRI), Los Angeles. Over the past 20 years at the GRI, he has served as Curator of Architecture, Head of Special Collections, and most recently, Head of the Department of Architecture and Contemporary Art. He has organized several exhibitions, including Shaping the Great City: Modern Architecture in Central Europe, 1890–1937 (2001); Lessons from Bernard Rudofsky (2008); and Overdrive: L. A. Constructs the Future, 1940–1990 (which only recently closed in July 2013). He also built a world-class architectural collection at the GRI, with particular strengths in pre-World War II European modernism and postwar California architecture.
The Cantor and Stanford’s Department of Art & Art History have jointly received a major grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation that will enable art history graduate students to use the museum’s collections in coursework and research and to receive curatorial training. Issa Lampe has been appointed as the new Assistant Curator for Collections Engagement, a position funded in part by the Mellon grant. Lampe will work with faculty and graduate students to deepen and expand their experiences learning from and working with objects in the collection. Lampe previously served as the Interim Campus Programs Manager for Bing Concert Hall and Stanford Live. With an advanced degree from Harvard University, Lampe was formerly the Senior Academic Officer at the Indiana University Art Museum, where she managed their Mellon Foundation grant.
In early July, Colleen Stockmann began as Assistant Curator for Special Projects, a new position wherein she will work closely with the director and curators to advance efforts on exhibitions, develop new approaches to the use of technology in the galleries and address interpretive strategies throughout the museum. Stockmann was previously Assistant Curator at the Contemporary Jewish Museum (CJM) in San Francisco and has worked on numerous exhibitions and projects. Her most recent project was Beat Memories: The Photographs of Allen Ginsberg, on view at the CJM until September 8.
Recruitment has begun to fill the position of Phyllis Wattis Curator for the Arts of Africa and the Americas. This curatorship, focused on overseeing the museum’s extensive collections in these areas, was endowed by the late Bay Area philanthropist Phyllis Wattis through a generous gift in 1998 that also supports acquisitions, exhibitions, conservation and educational programs.
Senior Administrative Appointments
Kathleen Stueck began at the Cantor in June in the newly created position of Associate Director for Finance and Operations. Stueck brings more 20 years of arts and educational administration leadership, most recently as the Director of Finance and Administration for Stanford Live, the Bing Concert Hall and the Stanford Arts Institute. At the Cantor, Stueck oversees finances, operations, human resources, security and facilities.
Mona Duggan has been promoted to Deputy Director of the museum. Duggan has provided exemplary leadership at the Cantor for 20 years, overseeing development, donor relations, membership, special events, public relations and marketing.
The Education Department has been restructured to develop a more focused approach to engaging students at Stanford. Kim Mansfield was promoted to Coordinator of Student Engagement, a newly created position intended to transform how the museum engages and relates to students through academic work, social activities and creative experiences. Last year arts educator Lauren Hahn joined the Cantor to inaugurate new, comprehensive family programs. As the Coordinator of Family Programs, Hahn has launched a highly successful series of programs that engage hundreds of families every week.
Susan Roberts-Manganelli has been appointed as Director of the Art + Science Learning Lab, a newly created position. The Lab, an ambitious new program at the Cantor made possible through a generous gift from Frances and Professor Emeritus Theodore Geballe, enables students to study art objects from an interdisciplinary perspective, thereby fostering ongoing collaborations between the scientific and art communities on campus. The Lab also provides opportunities for students to share their research in small exhibitions, published papers and public presentations. Wolf has tapped Roberts-Manganelli, previously the Cantor’s Manager of Collections, Exhibitions and Conservation, to serve as the inaugural director of the Lab. In this position Roberts-Manganelli will also oversee the conservation and care of the museum’s collection as well as the care and maintenance of the outdoor art program.
Katie Clifford, the Cantor’s Exhibition Registrar/Head of Preparators, is now serving as Acting Manager of Collections, Exhibitions and Conservancy, replacing Roberts-Manganelli until a permanent appointment is made.
About the Cantor Arts Center
The Cantor Arts Center, Stanford University’s only museum, is a vital and dynamic institution with a venerable history. Founded in 1891 by Jane and Leland Stanford while the university was established, the historic museum was expanded and renamed in 1999 for lead donors Iris and B. Gerald Cantor. The museum maintains its original mission: to dedicate itself to scholarship, teaching, and public engagement and to ensure that the arts are an integral part of every student’s educational experience.
The Cantor is one of the most well-attended university art museums in the country and welcomes nearly 200,000 visitors annually. As the only encyclopedic museum in the Bay Area, the Cantor offers a collection of more than 36,000 objects spanning 5,000 years: from Africa to the Americas to Asia, from classical to contemporary. With 24 galleries presenting selections from the collection and more than 20 special exhibitions each year, the Cantor attracts audiences of all ages and backgrounds, engaging Stanford’s academic community, the broader Bay Area and visitors from around the world. Admission to the museum is always free.
# # #
Notes to Editors
- To arrange interviews and for further information, contact Anna Koster, Head of Communications, Cantor Arts Center, 650-725-4657, firstname.lastname@example.org
- For high-resolution publicity images, contact PR Assistant Manager Margaret Whitehorn, Cantor Arts Center, 650-724-3600, email@example.com
The Cantor Arts Center is open Wednesday–Sunday, 11 a.m.–5 p.m., Thursday until 8 p.m. Admission is free. The Cantor is located on the Stanford campus, off Palm Drive at Museum Way. Parking is free after 4 p.m. weekdays and all day on weekends. Information: 650-723-4177, museum.stanford.edu
Wim de Wit has been appointed as the Cantor Arts Center first Adjunct Curator of Architecture and Design.