In August 2004, British artist Andy Goldsworthy completed Stone River, a 320-foot serpentine sculpture on the campus of Stanford University. Constructed of sandstone from university buildings destroyed in the 1906 and 1989 earthquakes, Stone River is the largest work of outdoor art at the university. In addition to Goldsworthy, a team of eight professional dry-stone wallers from England and Scotland worked 11 hours a day, six days a week, for three and a half weeks (1848 hours) to complete this remarkable work of art.
Mark di Suvero
Miwok, a 29-foot tall steel sculpture by Mark di Suvero, is located in the garden landscaped by Peter Walker and Partners at the Center for Clinical Sciences Research. Weighing approximately six tons, Miwok recalls a large totem, as its Native-American title suggests. With elements akin to a head and shoulder blades suspended above a towering leg-like frame, Miwok is more figurative than many of di Suvero’s works and complements the abstract sculpture by the artist, The Sieve of Eratosthenes, sited on the north side of the Cantor Arts Center.
The Three Graces
The Three Graces, a sculpture in Cor-Ten steel dating from 1975 to 1981 by Charles Ginnever, is his third work of outdoor art to be permanently sited on campus. Like his other two sculptures at Stanford, Luna Moth Walk I and Chicago Triangles, the three 20’ x 4’ elements comprising The Three Graces are equal in size but are oriented in different ways. The mystery of Ginnever’s art lies in understanding this relationship and discovering how light and shadow as well as the viewer’s movement in space change the appearance of the three-dimensional sculpture. The Three Graces are installed near the Oval in front of the Littlefield Center of the Graduate School of Business along with Chicago Triangles, which was formerly sited in front of the Schwab Residential Center.
Another recent addition to the outdoor art collection at Stanford is a trio of bronze works by Beverly Pepper named the Bedford Sentinels after alumni Peter and Kirsten Bedford who made their fabrication and donation possible. Sited at the corner of Serra and Galvez Streets next to the Landau Economics Building, the Bedford Sentinels complement Pepper’s other work at Stanford, Split Pyramid, on the Cantor Arts Center north lawn.