Aura: Art and Authenticity
A Mellon Curatorial Research Assistantship Project
This exhibition and accompanying publication and webpage are organized by Erik Yingling, Andrew W. Mellon Graduate Curatorial Research Assistant, Cantor Arts Center, and Cantor Arts Center staff. Erik is a PhD candidate in the Department of Art & Art History at Stanford University. We gratefully acknowledge support from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
As the Cantor Arts Center is temporarily closed, we invite you to explore the objects in this forthcoming exhibition online in the space below.
Coffin for Female Mummy Identified as the Chantress of Amen
This coffin once belonged to a singer in the temple of Amen during the Twenty-First Dynasty of Egypt, but at a later date...
Relief of a Warrior
The Cantor’s Relief of a Warrior is likely a fake. We see anachronisms and stereotypes including an exaggerated “Roman nose,” and an arm...
Necklace with Amulets of Deities
In 1901 the Egyptologist Émile Brugsch sold Jane Stanford 273 objects from his wife’s Egyptian collection. Brugsch wrote to Jane that his wife...
Icon of Our Lady of Vladimir
Although this icon of the Virgin and Child imitates a famous Russian orthodox icon called “the Vladimir Mother of God,” copying did not...
Block Statue with Cartouches of Ramses II
In 1882 the Scottish archaeologist Alexander Henry Rhind (1833–1863) observed how faux statues were being fashioned in Egypt: “The [statue] is fractured to...
Map and Directions
The Cantor Arts Center is located at the intersection of Museum Way and Lomita Drive in the heart of the arts district on the Stanford campus. The Cantor faces the Bing Concert Hall across Palm Drive, northwest of The Oval and the Main Quad.
Parking is limited. Visitor parking is available on Lomita Drive and in a nearby parking structure at Roth Way and Campus Drive. On weekdays until 4PM visitors may use marked, metered spots. On weekdays after 4PM and all day on weekends, visitor parking is free and visitors may also use A and C permit spaces.